These are my rough notes from : Staying Healthy On the Inside by Choosing Wisely Outside on Fora.tv --
Disclaimer – See the source video to be sure. Rough notes only.
Organic vs. Non Organic
- Dirty Dozen - Peach, Apple, Bell Pepper, Celery, Nectarine, Strawberries, Cherries, Kale, Lettuce, Grapes, Carrot, Pear
- Clean 15 - Onion, Avocado, Sweet Corn, Pineapple, Mango, Asparagus, Sweet Peas, Kiwi, Cabbage, Eggplant, Papaya, Watermelon, Broccoli, Tomato, Sweet Potato
- Reduce, Limit Saturated Fats - fat free dairy products
- Limit trans-fats - No fried food, baked goods in hydrogenated oils
- Increase intake of monounsaturated fats by choosing olive oil, walnuts, ground flax-seed (of flax-seed oil), avocado
Fruits and Vegetables
- Green - sulforaphane and indoles - broccoli, Brussels sprouts, bok choy, cabbage
- Green / Yellow - lutein, zexanthin (carotenoids) - spinach, collard greens, peas, yellow corn, avocado -
- White / Green - allicin, flavonoids - garlic, onions, leeks, endive
- Orange - beta-carotene - mangoes, apricots, carrots, pumpkin, squash, sweet potatoes
- Orange / Yellow - vitamin C, cryptothanxin, oranges, peaches, papayas, nectarines, pineapple
- Red - lycopene – tomatoes, pink grapefruit, watermelon (one of most powerful anti-oxidants group)
- Red / Purple - anthocyanins - eggplant, purple grapes, red wine, prunes, blueberries, strawberries red apples, bees.
Cook or Raw - Any. Especially tomatoes - lycopene best absorbed with fat, therefore cooking good.
Food vs. Nutrients - Nutrients may eventually increase the risk of cancer.
Multivitamins - Safe - Not sure, but lots of doubts of no effect to increase of effect of cancer. Excess of supplements will have a negative consequence.
Fortified food - Too much overkill could be dangerous
Vitamin D - Miracle nutrient - Lower rates of cancer with higher level of Vitamin D. Not conclusive. Lighter skin gets more Vitamin D, and they may still require supplements. Fortified food gives.
Sugar - Glycemic Index - Number value that tells you how quickly carbohydrate will raise the blood glucose in the body. Glycemic load takes into account the portion consumed. Carrots vs. White Bread. Index of Carrot is higher. However Glycemic load of White bread, pasta etc is higher. Higher glycemic load (simple sugars, white bread, refined sugar, processed sugar) increases the risk for several cancers - ovarian, colon, breast, pancreas lung etc.). Lower glycemic load by a healthy mix of fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grain carbohydrate, protein, and healthy fat (nuts) at each meal. These have low glycemic load.
Conclusion Base - Whole grain, whole plant food. DHA/EPA supplement for fish (1000 mg per day, 3 times a week) Omega-3 fatty acid supplement. Always consider amount of fortified food.